Thursday, March 02, 2006

So Sad and So Real

Today I saw a woman I know leaning up against a table. Her eyes were filled with emotion so I stopped and asked her if she was sick. I wasn't prepared for her answer. It always catches me off guard when people are real with me. I've come to expect the mask that everyone wears, and the act that they all put on.

So she looked at me and she said, "Yes. Who isn't? Isn't everyone sick in this world? Is anyone really happy?" I immediately understood where she was at, so I took a step closer to her and hugged her. She went on.

"You come one day when you get older and wonder where your life went." And then she starts to cry as she says, "And looking at your children you think to yourself, just yesterday I was a child like that, and now I'm the mother and you realize that you've never lived your life, that you've never been happy. And you wonder where it's all gone."

As she was talking I found myself starting to cry. And it was weird because, I wasn't just crying with her. I was crying *for* her. I understood. I understood.

Later before I left, she came out to tell me something. She said, "Let me give you some advice from my experience. I spent my life eating at my soul, letting everything get to me, getting upset about everything, always asking why, why, why about everything. It's not worth it. None of it is. Don't let any of it get to you. This life is too short. Put it all in a bag and throw it in the sea. It's not worth it. Strengthen your heart, and don't let any of it affect you. Just keep pure with God, and live your life, don't let any of them get to you--as long as you're pure with God. This life is too short. Don't let any of it get to you. It's just not worth it. Live your life."

It was as if this woman was looking right through me and reading a familiar book. I hardly know this woman, and she knows nothing of me. But for some reason she shared that with me, and the pain and sincerity behind her words affected me for a very long time. Her words weren't lines from a movie, or a cliched quotation about how life *should* be. No. Her words were about how life *is*. Her words were real...real pain...real disappointment, from real life. And so it hit me hard and deep, and I honored and respected what she gave me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home